The first day of fall is in just a couple of weeks. And as the temperatures begin to drop pests will begin looking for a place to stay warm. Unfortunately, this is often your home. In this blog post, we’ll talk about the top five ways you can keep your home pest-free this fall.
1. Inspect Your Home’s Exterior
Take a walk around the perimeter of your home. Look for any cracks in your foundation or any small openings a pest may fit through to gain access into your home. Pests can feel the warmth from a home and are drawn to it. So identifying these spots is important.
2. Properly Seal Your Home
Now that you’ve identified where gaps are located, you can properly seal them.
- Windows: seal cracks on frames and replace old weatherstripping. Also, repair any damaged screens. (Don’t forget your attic and basement.)
- Doors and garage doors: install seals to the bottom. These not only prevent drafts, but will help keep pests out.
- Utility Lines: apply caulk or expanding foam over any gaps around utility lines. Bugs and mice often use these small gaps to gain access into homes.
- Chimney: install a screen and a chimney cap. Pests like squirrels, rats, mice, and birds may not only use chimneys to stay warm, but they may also bring bugs in with them. If a pest has infested your chimney, give United Pest Solutions a call, we’ll be happy to safely remove them for you.
3. Maintain Your Yard
If you have long grass, untrimmed shrubs, and piles of leaves, you are inviting pests to your property. And once they make their way to your property, they’ll likely make their way into your home. So trim your lawn and bushes and pick up any lawn debris. If you keep a woodpile for burning, you’ll want to keep it stored away from your home by at least 20 feet. If you have trees near your home, we recommend pruning the branches so they aren’t touching your home.
4. Inspect Your Plumbing
Pests like rats, mice, and cockroaches love moisture. That’s why pests are most commonly found in basements. Some pests will even find their way into your home through drains. So repair your pipes as soon as possible to prevent an infestation.
5. Maintain Good Habits
This is one of the most important things you can do to keep pests away. If you stay proactive all-year long, like taking out the trash, maintaining your yard, and keeping food sealed you’ll have an easier time and see more success rather than trying to cram all your prevention in a just couple of days.
These five steps will help keep pests at bay this fall. However, if you are experiencing a serious infestation, contact United Pest Solutions. We’ve helped families in the Puget Sound area keep their homes pest-free for nearly 60 years and we’d be happy to evict any unwanted visitors from your home.
Top 5 Pest-Proofing Tips for Fall IN SEATTLE WA - EVERETT WA - MARYSVILLE
SERVING CUSTOMERS IN THE GREATER SEATTLE AND EVERETT AREAS