European Starlings are a common nuisance pest in the Pacific Northwest. These birds were introduced to North America in the late 1800s and since then, have grown significantly in population, making Starling control necessary.
Starlings are loud, they can spread harmful diseases, and can cause damage to homes. Learn more about Starlings and how to help keep them away from your home.
Problems Caused by Starlings
Starlings are known for the millions of dollars of crop destruction they cause yearly. They are also aggressive with native birds, and they’re known to carry diseases including Salmonella and blastomycosis — which can be harmful to livestock and people.
These birds are also quite adept at establishing nests in small cracks and crevices in buildings. They will use their beaks to break through any air vents around your home. Nests will not only damage your home, but they can also:
- Create potential fire hazards
- Clog drainpipes and gutters
- Clog air vents
- Cause water damage
- Spread mites
How to Protect Your Home from Starlings
There are several things you can do to help keep Starlings away from your home.
- Apply wood, sheet metal or other materials at an angle to help prevent Starlings from roosting on building ledges
- Seal gaps and crevices with sealant
- Install fixing wire, netting or plastic over areas that are vulnerable to Starlings
- Remove bird feeders or install wiring over them to only allow smaller birds access
- Remove nest boxes that have perches
- Cover fruit and vegetable crops with flexible bird netting
- Try a visual deterrent like a plastic owl
In addition to the above tips, sanitation is also important for deterring Starlings because it helps eliminate food and water sources for these pests. You’ll want to keep your gutters clean to prevent water from pooling and keep your trash in sealed receptacles. Sound devices are another method of controlling Starlings.
If you’ve tried these methods and Starlings still won’t leave your property, you may want to contact your local pest control company. They will be able to provide you with other control techniques to get rid of your Starling problem for good.
Prevent Starlings From Nesting in Your Home IN SEATTLE WA - EVERETT WA - MARYSVILLE
SERVING CUSTOMERS IN THE GREATER SEATTLE AND EVERETT AREAS