Rodents are one of the most common fall pests. When the temperatures dip and food becomes scarce, rats and mice will begin to look for reliable sources of food and warm shelter. And if your home has just what they need, these small pests will do whatever it takes to get inside.
But that doesn’t mean you can’t stop them. In this article, we’ll talk about the areas you should keep a close eye on as you work to pest-proof your home.
Rodent Entry Points
When trying to protect your home against rodents, you’ll want to identify entry points and block them. Common rodent entry points include:
- Drain pipes
- Vents, including crawlspace vents and soffit vents
- Crevices and cracks in your home’s foundation
- Areas where utilities enter the home
- Behind fascia boards
- Eave gaps
- Windows and doors
Rats and mice can squeeze into the smallest of spaces. They’re also great swimmers and climbers. These are just some facts you’ll want to keep in mind as you identify potential entry points.
Rodents are armed with amazingly strong teeth that never stop growing. They can chew through cement, stucco, wood, and even steel. In addition to making your home uninviting to rodents, you’ll also want to make it harder for these small pests to gain entry into your home.
- Remove clutter and debris outside of your home
- Keep your grass well-trimmed
- Trim shrubbery around your home
- Prune tree branches so they aren’t touching the roofline
- Ensure your outside trash cans have tightly sealed lids
- Store food in airtight containers
- Maintain cleanliness, picking up after meals
- Repair leaky plumbing fixtures
- Seal cracks and crevices outside of your home with 1/4” wire mesh and galvanized screws
- Remove pet food
- Screen your chimney and vents
Experts in Rodent Control
If you do end up with a rodent infestation, don’t panic. That’s what we’re here for. The technicians at United Pest Solutions are trained and experienced in rodent control. We’ll treat your home and help prevent future infestations from occurring using safe and effective IPM techniques. So contact us today for fast and reliable rodent control.
How do Rodents Get Inside Homes? IN SEATTLE WA - EVERETT WA - MARYSVILLE
SERVING CUSTOMERS IN THE GREATER SEATTLE AND EVERETT AREAS