You may be decorating your home with cobwebs and spiders this month, but real spiders give many people the creeps. Although spiders are natural predators that kill most insects in our homes and rarely bite humans, most people still don’t like the thought of them. This is why we at United Pest Solutions are offering tips you can try to help keep spiders out of your home this fall.
How to Get Rid of Spiders
Spiders are year-round pests, but if you feel like you’re seeing more of them this time of year, it’s because fall is their mating season here in the Pacific Northwest. Colder weather may also send spiders inside of your home, shed, or garage.
There are several ways spiders can gain access into your home so you’ll want to address them all.
Spider Control Indoors
- Eliminate clutter: this includes boxes and piles of laundry. Spiders like to hide in cool, dark places where they’ll go undisturbed
- Use airtight containers for storage: this will keep your belongings safe and keep spiders and other pests out
- Remove spiderwebs: for existing spiderwebs, you can sweep them down or use your vacuum cleaner to get rid of them
Vacuum, dust, and sweep regularly, paying particular attention to corners and underneath furniture
- Install door sweeps
- Replace weatherstripping
Spider Control Outdoors
- Use a silicone-based caulk to seal all cracks outside of your home, pay attention to where utilities meet the inside of your home
- If you keep firewood, store it away from your home
- Remove vegetation and debris, like leaf piles
- If you have shrubs near your home, trim them back so they aren’t touching your home
- Wipe down any existing spiderwebs
Keep in mind, spiders eat insects so if you have things around your home that attract bugs and flies, like white light porch lights, for example, you may be attracting spiders that are looking for a meal.
We hope these tips help keep spiders out of your home this fall, but if you want a fast and effective way to get rid of spiders, you’re going to want to enlist the help of a professional. Pest control technicians have a unique knowledge of spiders and other pests native to the Pacific Northwest so they know how to treat and prevent them. Here at United Pest Solutions, we specialize in environmentally-safe and reliable pest control. So if you’re dealing with spiders, give us a call and we’ll make sure those creepy pests stay outside where they belong!
Be Prepared, Fall is Spider Mating Season! IN SEATTLE WA - EVERETT WA - MARYSVILLE
SERVING CUSTOMERS IN THE GREATER SEATTLE AND EVERETT AREAS