It’s officially summer and one of the highlights during these warm months are backyard BBQ’s and they are best done without the addition of pests.
Many of these unwanted guests come in the form of ants, flies and stinging bugs. Since they’re more common during the summer, they’re more likely to show up at your gathering. However, there are a few helpful tips that will go a long way to keep your BBQ pest free.
- Inspect your home: Before your gathering, inspect your home, looking for any signs of cracks or holes in window screen or doors. This will keep summer pests outside. And remind guests to close doors tightly behind them when entering and exiting your home.
- Carry mosquito repellent: If your BBQ is in the evening, have EPA-approved repellent with DEET on hand to ward off mosquitoes. Mosquitoes are most active at dusk and dawn.
- Remove stagnant water: Remove or drain any sources of stagnant water in your yard including bird baths, garden ponds, and wading pools. Standing water is a breeding ground for insects such as mosquitoes and they are greatly attracted to it.
- Avoid fragrances and perfumes: Yellowjackets and other stinging insects are attracted to fragrances that can come from perfumes, hair products, candles and food. Also it’s good to have clear plastic cups available for use. Beverage cans and bottles are attractants for stinging insects.
- Keep food sealed: Keep food and beverages tightly sealed and covered or keep them in sealed coolers.
- Keep trash covered: Insects are also attracted to trash. Keep garbage containers sealed and away from main gathering areas.
- Rinse beverage containers: Remember all pests are looking for food, even the smallest trace. So rinse all beverage bottles and cans and throw them away in sealed garbage cans.
- Clean spills: Pick up trash and crumbs immediately and wipe up any spills. Ants and flies are especially attracted to leftover food remnants.
- Serve indoors and eat outdoors: Serving food and drinks indoors and using the outdoor space for eating and entertaining keeps the majority of food inside, therefore keeping pests away.
- Clean up quickly: Shortly after the meal, bring dishware and utensils inside your home.
Following these tips will help prevent pests from invading your backyard BBQ. If you have a pest problem in or directly around your home, our experts at United Pest Solutions can recommend a solution, so contact us today!
10 Tips to Keep Your Backyard BBQ Pest Free IN SEATTLE WA - EVERETT WA - MARYSVILLE
SERVING CUSTOMERS IN THE GREATER SEATTLE AND EVERETT AREAS