Keeping Roof Rats Out of Your Home – Seattle & Everett WA
Seattle’s rat population has exploded over the last decade, and it shows no signs of slowing down. Roof rats, also known as black rats, have become especially frequent sightings in much of Seattle’s metro area. Rats and mice are much more than ugly or scary nuisances–they can carry a variety of diseases, and rat droppings can contaminate a space in a matter of weeks. How can you protect yourself from these rodents? Whether you have rats in the attic, or rats in your entire house, United Pest Solutions can help! Our expert rat exterminators have been working within Seattle for over 50 years, and our experience with these pests is second-to-none.
Preventing Roof Rats
The easiest way to stop roof rats in their tracks is prevention. By taking the steps we outline below, effective rodent control will be that much easier.
- Don’t leave pet food out. When your pet isn’t eating, put their food away. Pet food is huge source of food for rats, and they will find it–even on the counter!
- Keep any pet food in glass or thick plastic containers.
- Store it well above the floor.
- Never keep pet food outside!
- Make sure bird feeders are secured. Rodents love bird seed, and rats will go to some pretty extreme lengths to get it. Isolate your bird feeder in these three ways:
- Make sure your bird feeders have trays underneath to catch any stray seeds.
- Keep bird feeders on poles instead of in trees.
- Put the feeder as far away from your house as possible.
- Keep plants away from the house. Rats and mice love to hide in tall grass or overgrown bushes. They can also use vegetation as a stepping-stone into your house.
- Plant large bushes away from the house.
- Make sure any vegetation is kept trimmed and short.
- Trim trees away from the house. This is a big tip–rodents can and will climb on any surface to get into a house. If you have a tree that leans over your roof or above a first-story vent, they will use it to get inside! Rodents are incredible climber–and there’s a reason why black rats are also known as roof rats.
- Seal all entry points. This is a vital and crucial step to any successful rat prevention routine. Rats and mice can fit into spaces as small as a dime.
- Seal all utility access holes for pipes, cabling, wiring, or other house features.
- Put screens on your vents.
- Cover any access points, indoors and outdoors, to your walls. Roof rats can live very comfortably within walls–sometimes for years–without anyone noticing!
How to Get Rid of Roof Rats
Maybe our expert advice is a little too late, and you already have roof rats living in your home. The key to rat control is removing them as soon as possible. Roof rats are incredibly prolific breeders, and if they’re given food, shelter, and water, those rates go up exponentially. Don’t let them take over your house–call a professional rat exterminator! It may be tempting to try DIY methods, but if you have pets or kids in the house, you need to be extra careful not to cause more harm than the rats themselves. If you’re looking for an effective way to get rid of rats, consult an expert rat exterminator. It’s worth it!
Professional Roof Rat Extermination
At United Pest Solutions, we believe in applying safe and effective solutions for comprehensive pest control. When you receive our rat extermination services, you receive a lot more than just rodent removal: you’ll get a complete and thorough inspection of your property, elimination of the roof rats themselves, and our expert pest control technicians will then seal and monitor all entry points to prevent the rodents from returning. Our rat control methods are so reliable and through that we guarantee them. Don’t wait until your rat problem is unbearable–call United Pest Solutions today!
SEE WHAT IT’S LIKE TO BE A UNITED PEST SOLUTIONS CUSTOMER!
Keeping Roof Rats Out of Your Home – Seattle & Everett WA In Seattle WA - Everett WA - Marysville WA
Serving Customers in the Greater Seattle and Everett Areas